E-Cigarette Safety Tips
Learn more about e-cigarette safety, including maintaining your battery, to ensure you are vaping safely.
Millions of people in the UK have turned to e-cigarettes to help them beat their nicotine cravings in a safe, effective, and flavourful way. Read our tips on how to vape safely and maintain your e-cigarette to get the most from vaping.
Take Care of the Battery and Charger
There have been reports of accidents in the home that make some people ask the question: "Are e-cigarettes safe?" Thankfully, there are some simple e-cigarette safety rules you can follow to minimise the risk of electrical faults or fires.
- Always use the right charger for your e-cigarette. Using the wrong one could mean that you supply more current to your battery than is appropriate - which may cause the battery to leak or vent
- Never use a battery if you have damaged it or hit/dropped it
- Just like any other electrical devices, you shouldn't leave your e-cigarette charging when you are not in the room
- Don't overcharge your vaping battery, as this could damage it. Unplug your battery as soon as it has been charged
- You'll also extend the battery life if you only charge the battery when it lets you know it needs recharging, rather than when it still has power left
- Turn your battery off when you're not using your e-cigarette
- Keep the vaping battery unit clean and dry for extra safety and longevity by cleaning the terminals with a cotton bud
Be Safe With E-liquid
Most e-liquids are made from just four ingredients, and are far safer than smoking tobacco. In fact, it has been estimated that e-cigarette safety is such that vaping is around 95% safer than smoking. There are ways to handle e-liquids and things to look out for that can make them even safer still.
- Buy e-liquid from trusted suppliers, like big name retailers who stock a range of brands
- Check the ingredients - e-liquids should mainly contain PG, VG, nicotine and flavourings
- Take care when refilling your clearomizer as you don't want the e-liquid to spill on your skin - the nicotine can be potent, and damaging
- Don’t overfill your clearomizer – only fill up to the line indicated, otherwise it could leak
- It goes without saying, but you should never ingest e-liquid - it's made to be vaped in an e-cigarette, not drunk
- Just like anything else not recommended for people under 18, you should always keep your e-cigarette and e-liquids away from children and animals
Maintain your Vape Pen
For great e-cigarette safety and a better experience when you vape, you should also make sure that you keep your vape pen maintained.
- Clean the clearomizer regularly according to the instructions – usually a piece of kitchen towel can be used to soak up any liquid residue inside
- When you’re not using it, you should store your e-cigarette upright, with the battery turned off
- Get yourself a case for your vape pen, to stop it from breaking or from putting unwanted pressure on the battery, and to keep it free from dirt
- Make sure you purchase a good quality vape pen that’s suited to your needs, and that works for the e-liquid type you want to use
If you keep these e-cigarette safety tips in mind, you’ll be able to relax and enjoy the vaping!